When someone sends you an email falsely claiming they are from a well-known and established source and attempts to rob you of your personal information, this is called phishing. Usually, the email directs the user to a website where the user is asked to update their personal information, such as passwords and credit card, social security, and bank account numbers, that can further be used to conduct identity theft. Because it is fairly easy to create a website that looks like the original legitimate one, simply by duplicating the html code.
There are several precautions you can take to prevent from getting hooked onto the scam.
I have received phishing emails in the past and at the time, they didn't appear to be as threatening. I just thought to myself "oh just spam, waste of my time". But I didn't realize if I had let myself open these emails or the attachments, I'd be immediately vulnerable to Internet identity theft. I was never aware of the degree of danger one little email could cause. So keep yourself safe and your eyes open for the situations described before and protect yourself from phishing.
There are several precautions you can take to prevent from getting hooked onto the scam.
- Never reply to emails or pop-up messages that ask you for your personal or financial information, avoid clicking on links.
- Some scammers send an email that appears to be from a legitimate business and asks you to call a certain phone number to update your account or access a refund. Because of Voice over Internet Protocol technology, the area code you dial does not reflect the scammer's real location. If you need to reach an organization you do business with, call the number on your financial statements or on the back of your credit card.
- Install anti-virus, anti-spyware software, spam filters, and firewall on your computer, and keep them regularly updated
- Never email personal or financial information.
- Review credit card and bank account statements as soon as you receive them to check for unauthorized charges.
- Take precaution and only open email attachments if you're expecting them and know what they contain.
I have received phishing emails in the past and at the time, they didn't appear to be as threatening. I just thought to myself "oh just spam, waste of my time". But I didn't realize if I had let myself open these emails or the attachments, I'd be immediately vulnerable to Internet identity theft. I was never aware of the degree of danger one little email could cause. So keep yourself safe and your eyes open for the situations described before and protect yourself from phishing.

0 comments:
Post a Comment